Sunday, October 14, 2007

Goethe

Guten Tag. We've been frequenting this one lane by National Taiwan University pretty often lately, because we like to eat at Sababa and Bongos, and every time we go we've noticed Goethe advertising their German cuisine. I guess I was always sort of hesitant about eating here, because when I went to Germany several years ago, I remember eating sausages, with sausages, and a side of sausages. It was just this never ending parade of sausages. I have good memories about every thing else concerning Germany, but god, the food sucked.

But I was curious as to see what this restaurant would be like, especially since we've been on a roll with the non-Chinese food here lately. And you know what? Goethe far exceeded my memories of those awful sausage meals I had in Germany. Who would have thought I would experience better German food in Taiwan, of all places?

Our timing was really good too, because we were there as they were running a promotion for Oktoberfest, so they were offering a set meal for 700NT which let you sample some of Germany's finest fare, such as: pig's knuckles, bratwurst, roast beef, and pickled herring.


I also ordered a sampler type meal, which included fried meatloaf with cheese, a curry sausage, fried ham, smoked cheese, and spaetzle, which are German egg noodles. They were actually my favorite part of the meal, and they made me long for a bigger and better kitchen here, because they seem to the sort of comfort food that you could just whip up on a chilly day.


Our meals came with soup and salad, which were mediocre at best. The soup was actually quite watery and seemed as if perhaps it was just made from some sort of packet.


But, we were also served bread and a variety of dipping sauces that made up for the poor quality of the other starters. The bread was warm and crusty, and came with free refills. The only complaint I had about it was that they spread garlic butter on it for you, which was fine if there weren't any dipping sauces to go with it, but I didn't really enjoy my strawberry cream cheese and garlic flavored bread all that much.


So while Goethe probably isn't going to become one of my favorite restaurants here, I'd say it's good once in a while when you want to mix things up a bit.

Auf wiederstein!


Goethe
goethe-gourmet.com
Roosevelt Road, Section 3, Lane 283, No. 11

(02) 2362-0060

4 comments:

abstractpoet said...

Everything else was kinda blah, but the pig knuckles were heavenly--nice and crisp on top, the gorgeously fatty meat cooked till tender. And they went well with the sauerkraut.

Oh, and don't forget the beer. Special for Oktoberfest, they had cold "raw" beer on tap. I don't know what that is, but it was mighty refreshing.

If we go again, I'm just ordering the pig knuckle set.

Anonymous said...

I think "raw" means draft/draught or tap. Not really "raw" as the Chinese suggests :)

Emily said...

Thanks for clearing that up, Pete! Luke and I kept wondering what the heck raw beer was.

joanh said...

fried meatloaf?? wow...