Sunday, October 7, 2007

Dumplings

We were stuck inside all day on Saturday because of the typhoon, except for one venture outside to check to see if the dumpling place next door was open. Luckily, it was, and we got some tasty dumplings and shao bing (sesame buns) take-out to enjoy on that very windy day.


We like to eat at 周胖子餃子館 (or roughly translated as, Fatty Chou Dumpling House) when we want something quick and cheap, but still good. Though I do have to say that the dumplings are the only thing really worth going there for. The shao bing, which you can get with beef or pork, are also not bad. And I also like their vegetable tofu soup. But other offerings range from mediocre (their beef noodle noodle soup) to bad (hot and sour noodle soup). (By the way, the menu is only in Chinese, with no pictures.)

Shao bing with beef


But considering that we usually spend around 200 - 300NT, it's really a pretty good deal. The dumplings are 7NT each, which might be a little more than other dumpling places, but I do think the dumplings here are better than some of those places. Their meat is nicely flavored - they offer beef and pork, but we usually get pork because we think that tastes better.


One time when I was taking Chinese classes, my Chinese teacher asked me how many dumplings I usually eat. I replied that it was usually around 6 or 7 and that I also get other food to go with it, but she still let out a very shocked, "HHHAAaaaAAAhhh??!!" I don't know, according to my Chinese teacher, I guess people usually eat 15 or 20 at a time. That seems to be a bit too much for me, but if it's not too much for you, or even if you only want to eat a couple, try out 周胖子餃子
.

周胖子餃子 (Fatty Chou Dumpling House)
Zhongxiao East Road, Section 5, No. 37

3 comments:

abstractpoet said...

Look at how much meat they pack into those shao bing!

joanh said...

yah! pork dumplings are definitely better!

Lin said...

Thanks for the comments! I'm looking forward to trying your dumpling and niu rou mian suggestions. And I'm glad to see another food blog out there - hope you discover lots of yummy places and share. I like using hungryintaipei as a resource.