Thursday, October 18, 2007

Omelet to Go

We discovered this little gem of a restaurant a little while back, and it's rapidly become one of our new favorite Western breakfast places. It's hidden away in a small alley off of Renai, and I almost don't want to tell all of you out there in Internetland about it, since I don't want all of you (ok, like one or two of you) to rush over and take all the available seating. Yes, it's small, and probably seats about 10 people comfortably, 14 if you count the outdoor seating.

But that's what I like about it. It's homey. It's cozy. The chef is right out in the open, cooking on a traditional four burner gas stove. The waitresses/prep chefs are friendly and chatty (and also speak fluent English), and the overall effect is that you're in someone's kitchen, watching them prepare a fine meal for you as you chat with friends.

Besides an assortment of omelets (all 90NT each, but no sides), Omelet to Go also offers Mexican dishes (all around 150NT or so), which is awesome for me because I love Mexican food and have been hard pressed to find decent places. Luckily, I need to search no more. I was quite happy with my burrito that I ordered, and thinking about it now is making my mouth water.

Our waitress told us that David, the chef, likes to experiment a lot, and every Tuesday they offer a new creation of his on the menu. One of his experiments that has now become a staple, is the pesto fried rice. I definitely recommend it. It's different, and it works.


Last weekend we headed over to find a brunch special for 200NT. It came with two pancakes, cheesy scrambled eggs, hash browns (these were really good), and sausage. I'm not sure if this was a one time special or if they're going to start having this all the time, but even if they don't, the omelets are always a good choice. Actually, everything is a good choice, so definitely try Omelet to Go!


Omelet to Go
Keelung Road, Section 1, No. 350-69*
(02) 2720-8782

*The address to this place is very misleading, because it's not anywhere near Keelung at all. It's in a small alley off of Renai, close to where Renai ends at Taipei City Hall. If you need more specific directions, drop me a line. Otherwise, I recommend calling for directions, because it's near impossible to find it based on the address itself.

5 comments:

joanh said...

I totally heard about this place and it was on my list of to do's before I forgot about it! NT200 is pretty great for the special... maybe we could have a food blog brunch there sometime! :)

joanh said...

really???!! the burrito was good???? i will definitely have to try that out myself.

Emily said...

Joanh, yes, I thought the burrito was actually pretty good! Though I did have sort of low expectations for it. I mean, it'll never compare to burritos that you can get in the States, but it was definitely better than Chilis, which was where I was getting my Mexican fix before.

We should definitely have a food bloggers lunch! And then we can swing by for some Peking duck afterward! =)

abstractpoet said...

The definition of a "hole in the wall", but only in the most positive sense. By far the best omelets I've had in Taiwan!

Oh, and remember that sloppy joe I ordered off the specials menu last time? That was really good too.

For those looking, there's some store where they give music lessons on obscure Chinese instruments at the corner of this alley and Renai (and I think next to the music store there's a restaurant called Beijing Do It True).

joanh said...

i went based on your recommendation. the place WAS tiny! the burrito was definitely not LA style, but definitely the best I've had in Taipei and yes you do think about it afterwards!! it was 80 percent there! could have just used some guac and mexican rice and i'd be there every day.