Tuesday, November 13, 2007

People Restaurant

I hate trendy restaurants - I don't see the appeal in them at all. Perhaps it's just me, but the idea of eating in a cavernous, dimly lit warehouse while listening to trance music just isn't my thing. But, sometimes you have to overlook that in pursuit of good food.

The ambiance at People Restaurant is almost unbearably trendy (but that's probably just me, as my trendiness tolerance is very low), what with the dark lighting and the minimalist decor and the pounding music. However, there are two things that save it: 1) snobbery and pretension are nowhere to be found and 2) the fusion cuisine is pretty decent.


I usually don't pay all that much attention to presentation, but the presentation at People Restaurant definitely caught my eye. In particular, this appetizer:


This is a vegetable salad with fried pork rolls (NT280), and my favorite part of the meal. I liked plucking each piece of food out of the vase and dipping it into one of the two dipping sauces. The pork rolls were deep fried but not oily and the pork inside was quite tasty.

We also ordered the fried shrimp with pomelo and lime sauce, tofu with miso sauce, and kou rou (fatty pork). All entrees are in the low to upper 300NT range. Out of these dishes, I liked the fried shrimp the best, especially with the tangy sauce, though I thought the shrimp itself could have been more flavorful.




Then for dessert Luke and I shared a tiramisu (about 200NT or so), which was a little different from traditional tiramisu, but in a better way - the cake part was thicker, and the sauce was creamier. There might not have been as strong a coffee taste, but we were satisfied nonetheless.


There's also a bar/lounge on the other side of the restaurant, where they serve all kinds of crazy drinks. We didn't order any, but from what we saw of other people's drinks, some of them are pretty out there. There was one that looked like it was served in a giant glass bubble, and had all this smoke billowing out of it. I think that was called - aptly enough - Smoke Bomb.

So while I don't think People's Restaurant is a place where I would return to all that often, I do think it's still worth a look.

People Restaurant
Anhe Road, Section 2, No. 191, B1
(02) 2735-2288

4 comments:

abstractpoet said...

Okay, I'll say it: When I eat in a trendy restaurant, it really DOES make me feel cooler.

In any case, my overall impression of People was definitely positive, and the prices weren't too bad at all considering the trendiness factor.

I should say, though, that the main reason I wanted to go was because I'd heard that you have to stick your hand in a hole in the wall to get the door to open (like a secret passageway!). Alas, they seem to have replaced the hole in the wall with a plain old doorbell. Boo!

joanh said...

yes.. looks like it's worth a try. i'm slowly less scared of trendy restaurants, at least in taipei.. LA is another story.

Emily said...

Let me know how you like People Restaurant if you try it out, joanh. And yeah, I've never been to LA before, but I imagine the trendiness factor in the restaurants there must be pretty intimidating.

Anonymous said...

Hello, how do you think the food and the mood of the newest people restaurant No.3-"Shadow 3"? Wanna know some inform.....