Thursday, November 1, 2007

Gusto

To be honest, no me gusto Gusto (sorry, that was just too hard to resist). It wasn't bad, but my reaction to most of what we ordered there was, Eh.

A look at what we ordered:





The paella (about NT260, prices vary on which type you order) was decent, and came with a good amount for two people, so I guess I can't really complain. Fine, I have one complaint, which was that I wasn't a fan of the huge chunks of broccoli randomly thrown in. Our sampler salad of tomato, mushroom, grilled chicken and seafood salads (NT240) also wasn't bad, but really just ok. The mackerels were disappointingly tasteless, but the spicy meatballs were not. They were tender and flavorful, and the one tapa I would recommend.


Dessert was interesting - we ordered the baked apple - and surprisingly, the drinks were my favorite part of the meal. I ordered the Madrid hot chocolate, which wasn't too sweet, but plenty chocolate-y. Luke had the Spanish coffee, which he also seemed to enjoy, especially the pieces of lime zest they shaved over the whipped cream on top.

To be fair, we did go there later in the evening - about 8:00 or so - and they had run out of many of the other tapas. The restaurant only orders enough ingredients for one day at a time, so that everything is fresh. So perhaps those dishes that we missed out on were better. But then again, we randomly ran into my cousin here, and she said the dishes she ordered weren't much better.

If you decide to try this place out and have a better experience than I did, do let me know. I like tapas, and I was saddened that this place wasn't what I wanted it to be.

Gusto
http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/gusto-tapa
Fuxing South Road, Section 1, Lane 107, Alley 5, No. 23
(02) 2731-3267

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I don't know if you ever been to Europe and especially to spain, but I' m french and i'd like to said that if the first photo is suppose to be paella... well paella don't look like that ... at all. The brocolis in paella it's also very strange.
love your blog!

Emily said...

Hi Xiami,

Yes, I have been to Spain before, and I know, paella doesn't look anything like that! I guess I was more willing to let it go since we're in Taiwan. It actually didn't taste that bad, but it definitely also wasn't authentic.

Thanks for checking out the blog!

joanh said...

you should try the tapas at cosi o cosi.. though they are pricey..

Emily said...

Joanh, yeah, I've tried the tapas at Cosi o Cosi before, and you're right, they are expensive - though pretty good, I thought. I was hoping that Gusto would be a cheaper alternative to Cosi, but I guess not. Sigh.