Monday, January 7, 2008

Shin Yeh Table

About a month ago, Luke and I got to meet the awesome joanh of a hungry girl's guide to taipei, and we decided to have dinner at Shin Yeh Table, since none of us had ever been there before. Shin Yeh Table is sort of like Shin Yeh's hipper, younger sister. It offers a lot of the same things as Shin Yeh (like our all time favorite, the gua bao), as well as a drink menu (which I believe Shin Yeh doesn't have) and a more extensive dessert menu. The prices are cheaper also - between the three of us, we ordered about seven dishes and the bill only came out to be around 1000NT. Also, Shin Yeh is open until 2am, so if you ever get the late night munchies, it's the perfect place to go to satisfy your hunger. I'm not sure if it's like this every time, but the one time we went after 10, all drinks were buy one get one free, and all dishes were 40% off.

Some of the dishes that I enjoyed:

(deep fried soft shell crab)


(fried rice with salted radish)


(fried mushrooms with mussels)


(egg omelet with salted radish)


(I didn't try this, but I was wondering if anyone could clear this up for me - do people really drink vinegar as a beverage? Is it good? I don't know, but "prune tea vinegar" doesn't really sound all that appetizing.)

Shin Yeh Table
www.shinyehtable.com
Zhongxiao East Road, Section 4, No. 201, 2nd Fl.
(02) 2778 - 8712

5 comments:

葛曉嵐 said...

About drinking vinegar, I would have had the same thought as you until I tried chilled honey vinegar on a recent trip to the Hung Gee Bees Farm in Puli (http://www.hgbees.com.tw/). It was very refreshing and not too sour. I understand that adding some vinegar (or other acid) to a meal is healthy because it lowers the meal's "glycemic index," the rate at which the food is converted to blood sugar. When this happens too quickly, your pancreas secretes insulin, thus triggering your body's process of storing blood sugar as fat, especially around your waist. I'm not a doctor or a food chemist; I've just read about this in a few diet books. So, apparently, drinking a little vinegar is probably healthy as well as tasty....Anyway, I enjoy your blog very much, reading it from far away Seattle.

Emily said...

Hey James - Thanks for all that info about the vinegar! I didn't know any of that before. Maybe next time I'll try one of those vinegar drinks.

Glad you like the blog!

joanh said...

hey! i had so much fun meeting you guys and eating at Table.. you beat me to the review! :) my computer crashed over xmas and i just got it back this week... THANKFULLY they recovered all my data before they had to replace the 3 year old hard drive. *sigh

Emily said...

Oh man, that sucks! But I'm glad you were still able to recover the data. You have a mac, right? Our mac crashed awhile back also...seems to be a problem with the macbooks.

Anonymous said...

About the drinking vinegar--I thought it was sour like the cooking vinegar you find in the U.S., but I tried some cold, refrigerated vinegar. It's refreshing, and sort of sweet. So everybody should try a little drinking vinegar in Taiwan at least once since it's good for your body. I like apple flavor!