Sunday, January 27, 2008

Forkers

I know that in my last post it made it seem like I'm miserable here, but the truth of the matter is that I'm not. Sometimes I just get grouchy, I guess. In fact, there are a lot of things I appreciate about Taiwan, such as how easy and convenient it is here. Like, let's say I get a craving for a good hamburger. Then I can just hop onto the MRT, take it to Zhongxiao Dunhua on the blue line, and right around the corner is a fantastic new hamburger joint named Forkers where I can stuff my face to my heart's delight. It's ironic because back in the States, if I were to get this same craving, the only choices I'd have would be between McDonald's, Burger King, or TGIFridays. Funny how I had to move all the way across the world to get a good burger.

Forkers has been open for about a couple months now, though by the way their business is doing you'd think they've been around for longer. But it's not surprising that they're doing well. Just take a look at this hamburger here:


That's the Australian burger (260NT), which comes topped with bacon, cheese, a fried egg, beets, grilled onions, and a special barbecue sauce, as well as the usual lettuce and tomato. Yeah, it's a lot, but as Luke says, "Delicious!" I've also had their mushroom cheeseburger (good) and their fajita burger (good, but spicy). All their burgers come with fries (which if you add an extra 40NT or 50NT depending on what you order, you can get poutine, tex-mex or chili cheese fries). You also get a choice of salad with your meal (I like the Hawaiian Pasta Salad) and a drink.

If you're not in the mood for a burger, Forkers also offers other non-burger fare, like the grilled chicken quesadillas (260NT) that I ordered last time we went. It wasn't bad, but I do think that their burgers are definitely their strong point.


So if you're ever craving a hamburger with all the works, head on over to Forkers!

Forkers
www.forkers.tw
Zhongxiao East Road, Section 4, Lane 223, Alley 10, No. 8
(02) 2771-9285

4 comments:

joanh said...

mmm. never heard of them. i think i will have to try the mushroom burger

Anonymous said...

went there recently. the place was empty even at noon. food wasn't bad, but the guy who served us was pretty rude. wasn't apologetic when he didn't give me my change back after I paid. after we left, we realized that he had over-charged us. there are better, friendlier places to go.

abstractpoet said...

Hey anonymous: I agree with your assessment of the service, actually. When the Chinese manager is there, it's fine, but when he isn't there, the servers are slow and lazy and don't have a particularly good attitude, and the Caucasian owner doesn't seem to speak Chinese so he doesn't ever say anything to them about it. One time it took them more than half an hour to come take our order, and no one (including the owner) was particularly apologetic, even when we complained.

I really like the Australian burger, but because of the uneven service, I'd definitely give Bongos the edge as far as Taipei burger joints are concerned.

Anonymous said...

hi, i'm sorry if you feel we were rude. that's probably one of the things that forkers hasn't got on the right track since it has only opened up for a few couple months with the quickly increasing number of guests. I'm sure we're improving. maybe you could give us another try next time.:) sincerely sorry for causing inconvenience to you.