Sunday, July 29, 2007

VVG Bistro

Today we enjoyed a lovely brunch at the very very good VVG Bistro, sister restaurant to the VVG Table that I reviewed in a previous post. Since VVG Bistro also offers a set menu that's pretty similar to the one we had at VVG Table, I won't go into a full review. I'll just say that everything was delectable and post some pictures. For my friends in the States, these are to lure you here so you'll come and visit.

Actually, before I post the pictures, I would to say how much I like the idea of set menus here in Taiwan. In the States, set menus are pretty rare - unless you count tasting menus, and those are usually really expensive. The only place where you'll be sure to find a set menu is at McDonalds. But in Taiwan, set menus are much more commonplace and you definitely get more bang for your buck. And, it always includes the perfect amount of food, so you don't have to worry about ordering too much or too little, which sometimes happens when you order a la carte. The set menu at VVG Table is NT500, which is about $15 US, and probably a little bit on the steep side by Taiwanese standards, but in my opinion still a good deal nevertheless.

And now on to the pictures:

Here's a picture of the complimentary "ice lolly" that came before our meal:

For some reason, the coffee came in a giant bowl.

Here's a picture of my husband drinking from his bowl o' joe.

Our set meal. Clockwise from upper left hand corner: deep-fried fish with seaweed and rice; almond milk panna cotta with macerated blueberries; summer juice with honeydew, muskmelon, and watermelon; shrimp steamed egg and squid steamed egg, shrimp roulade with silver sprout, water chestnut and spinach; tomato, basil, and parmesan bread served with prosciutto, tomato, and cheese.


Some close-ups:


Also, check out the decor in this place. It's so quirky and eclectic. I love the pink refrigerator.

VVG Bistro
Zhongxiao East Road, Lane 180, Alley 40, No. 20
(02) 8773-3533

3 comments:

joanh said...

hi! congrats on your new blog!!!

wow, i haven't been to VVG Bistro in a looong time. I couldn't see all of your pictures, but the one of their decor has changed. They seem to change it once a year.

Th set menu does sound like a great deal! Otherwise, they tend to be a bit pricey for their portions

Emily said...

Hi joanh!

Thanks for checking out my blog! I've been reading yours for awhile now, and actually discovered the VVG restaurants through your review. =)

I've re-uploaded the pictures - hopefully you can see them now!

Emily

joanh said...

cool! thanks! hope if you have time, you can give me some feedback on places you've visited on my blog. looking forward to finding out about new places from you!