Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Oh, horror of horrors, I stupidly left my camera at my friends' apartment back on the other side of the ocean! Alas, it might be awhile then before I post about any new restaurants, as reading about food is not quite the same without the pictures to go with it.

In the meantime, here are some pictures to horrify you Taiwanese readers out there. My husband told me the other day that a study found that based on their BMI, 2 out of 3 Americans are overweight. You'll see why when you look at the picture:


Wait, you're saying, those portion sizes don't look big at all. That looks like the regular portion sizes you'd get at The Diner! Well, that's because I already ate HALF of my breakfast here. That empty space on the plate arrived completely dominated by a monster omelette and a pound of potatoes. Top that off with a stack of three pancakes.

I know I'm perpetuating all sorts of stereotypes about fat Americans now, and of course not every restaurant in the States is like this. But because my parents live in the suburbs, the only restaurants you can find are chain restaurants, where more often than not the portions sizes are enough to feed a small nation.

I might not have missed the heat and the hustle and bustle of Taipei while I was back in the States, but I definitely missed eating out here!

6 comments:

abstractpoet said...

True that. And it looked even bigger in person.

Unknown said...

you should put up that picture of the huge bread bowl salad from Perkins, now that's big

Emily said...

I would totally put that picture up, but it's still on my camera! And my camera is in Eileen and Brent's apartment. I think you might have to bring it back for me when you come visit.

joanh said...

at least you didn't lose it completely (boo hoo! :( ) like i did in beijing. *sob sob.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm french,I'm going to live in Taipei for the year and I've never been to the states ( according to the picture we can see that they eat a lot!!)
but I'd like to say that when I arrived (in august) in Taipei I've been shocked by the quantity of food you can get in restaurants. I think taiwanese eat a lot , sometimes to much because in the Mrt I see a lot of fat teenager.
I like your blog, and I'm going to try some of the restaurant you talk about.
thank you

Emily said...

Hi Camille,

Thanks for checking out my blog, and I'm glad you like it!

You're right that the Taiwanese can eat a lot, but I find generally speaking - at least compared to the States - they are much better at serving up more manageable portion sizes. I think the larger portion sizes you see in restaurants here are probably meant to be shared amongst several people, as most people eat family-style when they go out.

I hope you enjoy your time here in Taipei!