Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Aaleja

So far this past year living in Taipei, I've come to be more and more impressed with the international food scene here. I guess when I first came to Taiwan I expected that the Chinese food would be awesome, (which it is) and that the non-Chinese food would be like refried poo (which it's not). Aleja is such an example of a place that I had not-so-high expectations for, but then ending up really liking the place and returning whenever I find myself craving some Indian cuisine.

One of our favorite dishes here is the paleek paneer, which we order pretty much every time we go to Aleja. It's a spinach and Indian cheese dish, very flavorful, very delicious.


Last time we were here we also ordered the keema mutter, which is minced lamb with peas and spices. God, now I'm making myself hungry.


Each dish is about 200-300NT. It doesn't come with any accompaniments, so you have to order the rice and/or naan a la carte. The rice is 30NT a bowl (and not enough to share, either), and the butter naan is 50NT; the garlic 70NT.


I'm not an authority on Indian cuisine by any means, but Aleja tastes pretty good and authentic to me. The prices are reasonable, and the service is always friendly, so what's not to like? Check it out:

Aaleja

Yanji Street, Alley 5, Lane 70, No. 6

(02) 2773-3227

3 comments:

joanh said...

i'm glad you had better luck at aaleja than i did.. you should try the lunch buffet and see if it's still in disarray or if it was a one time deal. i really like the flavors there, it's just the inconsistency that kills me!

abstractpoet said...

Well we have tried their weekend buffet, actually, and did find it very disorganized and even somewhat...unsanitary.

Dinner time seems to be okay, though, and the food is solid. We haven't found any other Indian/Pakistani place we like better. Recommendations?

joanh said...

yeah.. their ala carte seems to fare better. i just thought their buffet was a rip off. there was practically NO food when we sat down or left. i find the flavors better than Tandoor. have to try some of the other places though...